Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mexican Drug Problem - Democracy?

This story of the 49 dead bodies found in Mexico is pretty intense. You know it's pretty nasty when police are having trouble identifying the bodies. The root of this problem isnt easily discovered, but I came across an article that I disagree with pertaining to the Mexican drug problem.

In her article, 'The Real War in Mexico: How Democracy Can Defeat the Drug Cartel', Shannon O'neil makes the argument that democracy can be the force that makes the situation all better. One quote stood out to me where she stated,

 "The civilian-controlled military has already extinguished any real guerilla threats.." and then goes on to talk about how Mexico is a legitimate country that holds fair elections and runs schools.

 A civilian-controlled military? The problem is these "civilians" who run the military are the ones keeping the cartel alive. You can't tell me that a large majority of "civilians" are also doing drugs on the side! With the economy the way it is, people are looking to feel happy and content with themselves. By getting high and doing drugs, they are temporarily getting that feeling by doing drugs. I can't think of the exact reason why this is such a huge problem, because there are many. But I can tell you, "democracy" won't fix it. Sorry all you dreamers out there, but when you rely on the people who are doing the drugs to stop the drug sales, you got a little problem.

http://heinonline.org/HOL/Page?handle=hein.journals/fora88&div=57&g_sent=1&collection=journals

Part 2: A lot of scenes from The Road I thought were great. Just the overall journey they make together is broad I know, but the sense of strength they draw from each other is awesome. If I had to pick a scene, even though it was sad, I would pick the scene where the father passes away. He made it to the coast which was his goal, he defended his son when he needed to and accomplished his last goal. My favorite quote would have to be: "People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didnt believe in that. Tomorrow wasnt getting ready for them. It didnt even know they were there". Just a powerful quote that can get you thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment