Sunday, May 20, 2012

Colleen Ogle

Colleen Ogle
Epworth United Methodist Church Minister
Marion, Ohio

I picked Colleen because she has been through a lot in her recent years. She is a single mom and is one of the first women at my church as a minister. I wanted to interview her before she left to another church in the end of July to Oxford Ohio. She always wanted to help the youth and show them that they could become whatever that wanted and do not give up or loss faith. I look up to her for that. I learned in writing and reporting is that it can be very challenging to pick one of the most favorable quotes and not to go into great detail about everything else they said and to keep on topic, even if they do not when you interviewed them. It takes a lot of time to do a good interview. In my interview with Colleen my favorite paragraph was...

"I am the minister of Epworth United Church. I never thought I would go into ministry but I guess God wanted me to. I went to Harvard to study law. I loved law and was good at it. I spent most of my time getting my law degree and gave up the last year. When I was in Harvard, my two friends were getting extremely close a like and I was noticing that law was turning them like into cookie cutters, everything was the same and I always wanted law to be something that would help and serve people and that was always in the back of my mind."
I never thought into going into ministry. When a convention for ministry came to school, I was like well this couldn't hurt to look. There was no one there in line for the convention. I remember when the lady asked, “Who is in line here for the ministry convection?” I shot my hand up and didn't really know why I did but that’s how I got started in ministry. The convection was long and they used a lot of terms I did not understand at that time. I then went to the adviser and asked if he could hold my law degree for five years so nothing would get canceled if I decided this career wasn't fully for me I never went back and got my degree in ministry. When my senior summer came I started thinking to myself to get a divinity degree. I was like no I wouldn’t be good at it but it wouldn’t stop popping up in my head and no one was wanting me to go into it. Most said "Oh stay in law school, it would be good for you." Then I thought maybe this was really God speaking to me. I went asking another minister of a church about the divinity school and he told me, "You are a woman; you will be put in a small church and get low pay. Maybe you should go play the organ since you are good at piano", he said to me. I got honked off and didn’t really want to listen to this old man. When I got ordained and I got sent into my first church. I have been in the United Methodist Church for 20 years. It was what God wanted me to do. There hasn't been a week that I don’t think if I should have been something else. "

4 comments:

  1. She is young and worked so hard to be where she is now. you are right is so hard to Pick the Quotes and leave some of them behind while all the Quotes are neccessary to use

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a concept that is truly devalued in current day society, as she was trapped on two different spectrums of life. Law is known for deception and corruption, and faith solitude and peace. Ogle was someone of apparent high intellect as she was attending Harvard. It’s truly inspirational that she chose here beliefs and love for something, over a more then given successful law career. This would appear to display, that money is simply paper when beliefs and values are evaluated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you Brian money doesnt bring happiness and is just a piece of paper but our beliefes matters the most..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beginning of the second quote is a good source of information for the essay, it seems like it must have set a good tone and lightened the mood for the paper.

    ReplyDelete