Thursday, April 5, 2012

Prison Rate

A lot of people end up in prison, whether it is for a good reason of not. During my research. I found that over 2 million adults end up in our nation's prison system. I knew it was a large number, but to guess this high of a number is unreal to me. Our country has obviously done something wrong to have so the highest prison rate in the world. Some blame comes from mandatory sentencing laws and the record number of nonviolent drug offenders subject to them. I know that some of the crimes are not as bad as others so maybe we should aim towards the rehabilitation of those who don't commit a huge crime and make them understand the next time they won't b so lucky. This might no work considering that a lot of these people are drug dealers or drug users, but we will never know if we don't try.



http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/1209-01.htm

3 comments:

  1. I like your point on focusing on the prisoners without a major offense. It seems that they would be less likely to end up back in jail and save some money for the taxpayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Eric, I don't think prison should be used as an over all ultimatum for punishment for even the smallest of crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea for a alternative correctional programs. Perhaps this will lower the cost of sustaining U.S. Prisons.

    ReplyDelete