Friday, April 20, 2012

HOMESCHOOLING



I have decided to talk about something that is very controversial among parents, homeschooling. My cousin  has 4 children and she has home schooled all of them from day one. her oldest who is only 16 has already graduated and is taking college classes. I always said there would be no way i would home school, because where would they get the social interaction. I thought I'm not equipped to teach my children the things they need to know, I'm doing good just to learn myself. well that all changed for me last year when my youngest was struggling beyond my comprehension. ever since he entered into kindergarten he struggled. we held him back his kindergarten year and continued as a team by that i mean his teachers, school principle, and so on to get him all the help that was needed to me successful. we put him in title 1 reading, he was receiving speech therapy and still wasn't progressing. finally the school had enough information to take to a B.A.T meeting to have him tested for a learning disability. His test came back that yes in deed he did qualify but this was at the end of his 3rd grade year and so he wouldn't be able to start getting the special ed. help that he needed till the beginning of 4th grade, unfortunately by this time the damage had already started to take effect. my son at this age had already realized something was wrong with him and he was not like any of his other peers at school. his self esteem had bottomed out. He would wake up in the morning throwing up and with direah every morning because of his nerves about going to school. This would go on through out the day. finally i couldn't stand to see my little boy in so much stress that i started checking into homeschooling and talking to other parents who home school (including my cousin). My husband and i talked it over and we found a program we thought would work for our family and so now my son is home school and his confidence level has improved tremendously. I agree homeschooling is not for everyone, it takes alot of hard work and dedication but for my son it has been the best desicion we have made. I have attached a url so that you can see some pro's and con's to homeschooling www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/pros-and-cons-of-home


this is just one of the many joys of homeschooling. arts and crafts:)
 

7 comments:

  1. I agree that homeschooling can be good. You are correct that it is not for everyone, but i have a couple friends who were home schooled and are now very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that homeschooling is great, if you can do it. Obviously, it was a great decision for your family, and I am glad to hear that your son progressed with it! Many people do miss out on the social interaction, but can be avoided if you have them play sports in your local school district or through community events, or anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Aaron and Katelan. I feel that children who are homeschooled have turned out to be successful. Yes, they will miss out on activities in a local school, but in the end school is about the education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think homeschooling is a great idea. My little cousin is home-schooled and she is doing great also homeschooling keeps her from getting into troubles. So I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree homeschooling is a great idea, but it's not for everyone. Some kids would rather be in public school than home schooled,many people do miss out on social interaction and activities, but at the end they are there to learn not to socialize.I am glad it worked out for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your topic very interesting, and at the same time insightful. I've heard the supposed social effects that home school impose, but these individuals leave out the negative affects of are education system. Homeschooling can provide the attention a personal assistance that school population will not allow. There is a lessen pressure in drug, sex, and under age drinking. In my opinion with current social standards it would be harder to send them to the current education system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that as long as the social interaction and learning are balanced that home schooling can be a wonderful alternative for some children. Being that there is a lot of bullying within public schools, home schooling can be an escape from those hateful situations.

    ReplyDelete