Thursday, April 5, 2012

My glass ceiling

I am a woman and as much as I do not let that hold me back at all, I know that it is something that will always effect how others see me. I will never be able to hide that I am a woman and I will always be judged by society for that.
 "@thinkprogress: FACT: Women perform 66% of world’s work, 
produce 50% of the food, earn 10% of the income and 
own 1% of the property (via @OECD)"

I work for a great company, I like my job. The bothers that run the store I work for remind me every day that I will always be judged because of my gender. No matter how deserving, a woman will never become a general manager of any of the stores that the Monin brothers run. They run a boys club that is how they believe it should be. My immediate boss is a woman, and she really runs the company. Heidi is technically the Administrative Director, but she is also the entire Human Resources department, the only person that trains every position in the company and the one everyone comes to when no one else can answer the question at hand, for a company of nearly 150 employees. But Heidi will never be more than the Administrative Director for the company because she is a woman; it does not matter that Heidi has a college degree in business, over ten years experience with the company and could does most of the company business everyday anyway. 


http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/01/10/401419/study-women-raises/

3 comments:

  1. I am very surprised by the above statistics about women in the workforce. 66% of the world's work and earning only 10% of the income? That's crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about who the richest women in the world are. Do you think that there are some very wealthy women out there who are aware of this equality issue? If so, are any of these very wealthy women doing anything about establishing greater equality between men and women?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having worked in the retail field for over thirteen years in management i have seen this first hand. I at one point with a company worked for a female manager that made 1,200.00 less a year then i did as her assistant. It's not just your company, as in retail it seems to be a man's game; but over the years i will say that i saw an influx of female mangers. It doesn't seem to me as much an issue of position as much as wage rights and respect in the workforce.

    ReplyDelete